Saturday, April 3, 2010

Childless and Broke on a Saturday night...

Quite sadly, I am one of the only single mothers that I know who's child has open contact with his dad.  I'm one of the few that not only gets regular child support payments, but actually gets enough to help with my household. (No joke, I have friends that have gotten $3 child support payments before.)  My ex, whom I'll call CAB, signed himself up for child support and has never failed to pay what was mandated by the state.  However, last October I asked the state to reevaluate CAB's financial situation and they decided that he was obligated to pay more than twice what he was originally mandated.  At that point, CAB decided that he could no longer afford to come visit his son.  More on that later.
I gave that back story to explain why I love CAB's Mother In Law, Grandma L.  Since the day CAB became seriously involved with her daughter, she's gone out of her way to make sure that my son is invited and made part of all  of the grandchildren activities.  She calls and invites the Bear to sleepovers with his cousins.  She ALWAYS gets him on Christmas night so that he can open gifts with the family.  (Even though CAB is not always present at these events.) And yes, the subtext is right, she has my number and I have hers.  I called her direct last year to make sure that she was at the Bear's birthday party. 
We live three states away from all of my son's biological grandparents, so Grandma L has been a godsend.  I don't like being around her for long periods of time as she does annoy the piss out of me.  But she's been a present and loving grandmother for my son.  A lot of steps don't take that role.  Especially since my son is Black and CAB's in-laws are hispanic.  This situation could have been completely different. 
So back to CAB and his BS story about how he can't afford to visit the Bear.  Grandma L and Grandpa M live here in SA with us.  CAB moved his family to Dallas after he married his current wife.  But when he visits, he picks up the Bear and takes him to Grandma L's house where they stay until it is time for CAB to return to Dallas.  So the cost to come see his son is something like $40 for gas.  Room and board are always covered when he gets here.  Since the attorney general decided to increase my child support in October 2009, CAB has seen the Bear one time in March.  Grandma L has seen the Bear at least 6 times.  In fact, she called me yesterday to see if he could come over because she is having all of the grandkids this weekend.  Grandma L rocks!  That's all I'm saying.
I get a rare Saturday to myself, and the Bear is reminded that he has family other than me that love him.  We get a break from the 24/7 us show.  I'm only slightly perturbed that I'm completely broke and can't go anywhere.  Oh well...I have full access to the Wii and I don't have to share.  Drunken Wii Sports anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Found my way here. Thank you again for the visit. I think that sometimes a night in alone can be just as good as a night out...sometimes

    ReplyDelete