Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Am I enough??

This summer has brought new challenges to me and the Bear.  He hasn't seen his father since spring break in March and despite my offers, he's not choosing to write or call him.  He's never gone this long without speaking to his father.  While I personally don't mind not talking to CAB, I don't know how I feel about the Bear losing all contact.  CAB has only called a few times despite my asking him to try harder to let our son know that he thinks about him. 
I know it's rather traditional of me, but I just think that a boy his age needs a man in his life.  I'm completely unwilling to bring the men in my life around him.  (Despite my consistant rantings about being single, there's always someone hanging around.)  I don't let men meet him if they aren't making a commitment to stick around.  I just feel like he needs that bond and it's one thing that I can't give him. 
I signed him up for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program and we are currently waiting to be matched.  He honestly wasn't all that enthused about it when I brought it up.  I asked him to please try it and he eventually warmed to the idea.  At an orientation meeting they asked for a one year commitment, so I had to broach the subject with him again.  He said he was willing to try for a year.  I think he's actually looking forward to it.  It scares me to think that he's already given up on the idea that his dad will be in his life.  And simultaneously it pisses me of that the CAB would think that it's okay to just disappear after 10 years of being there from whatever distance.  I mean, what does that say to our son?  How do I assure him that I'm never going anywhere if his dad can just walk out that easily?
I hope that he gets matched soon and I pray that this will be a good experience for him.  I want him to have that "guy time".  He's even mentioned to me that he's ready for a step-dad.  He's told me in the past that he didn't like the idea of me dating.
I saw pictures of a friend with her husband and son a few days ago and while I cooed over how cute they were, I realized that my son doesn't have one picture of us as a family.  It was so disjointed when it existed and over so soon after he was born that we don't have one picture of us all together.  That's what I want to give him.  I want him to have the family like everyone else's.  I know in this day and age family comes in all different forms, but on this, I want tradition.  A mom, a dad and some kids. (Or even just the one.)  In this I don't feel I can give him enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment